Advantages Zoekjaar Permit
- The permit is valid for one year during which you are allowed to work without any restrictions.
- You may apply for the one year permit within 3 years of completion of each degree or research position. Thus, every time you complete a new degree or a research position, you can apply for the Zoekjaar permit again.
- After your Zoekjaar permit expires, employers may hire you as a highly-skilled migrant (Kennismigrant) but with a reduced salary level compared to a regular highly skilled migrant. In 2020, this reduced salary is EUR 2.423 gross per month, excluding vacation pay.
- This is the first time that you are applying for a residence permit to look for work after the specific study, doctoral program or scientific research that you just completed.
- If you have had a Zoekjaar permit before, your study program, doctoral program or scientific research must have been completed after your previous Zoekjaar.
In the past three years, you must have fulfilled one of the following conditions:
- Completed an accredited Bachelor’s or Master’s program in the Netherlands
- Completed a post-Master's program of at least one academic year (minimum 10 months) in the Netherlands
- Completed a study in relation to the Cultural Policy act in the Netherlands
- Completed a study in relation to the development cooperation policy of the Ministry of foreign affairs in the Netherlands
- Gotten a Master’s degree in the context of an Erasmus Mundus Masters Course
- Completed a higher education program designated by Ministerial Decree
You have had:
- A residence permit in the Netherlands for the purpose of scientific research for EU directive 2005/71/EC or research for EU directive 2001/801
- A residence permit the Netherlands as a highly-skilled migrant to undertake scientific research in
- Completed a Master’s or post-Master’s program or obtained a PhD at a designated international institution abroad in English or Dutch (additional conditions apply!) For a complete listing of all the relevant conditions, you can check the IND website or contact us to get a complete overview of the information that is relevant for your personal situation.
For a complete listing of all the relevant conditions, you can check the IND website or contact us to get a complete overview of the information that is relevant for your personal situation.
- Valid passport
- The IND application form for the Zoekjaar permit
- Depending on which of the above-mentioned conditions make you eligible to apply for the Zoekjaar, you will need different documents. Which documents you need is listed in the IND application form linked above, under the section “Means of evidence.”